Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Zertifikat-Deutsch B1

Today I finished an online example of the Zertifikat-Deutsch (B1) that I started some time ago, but I haven't been able to find the time to work on it. I kept to the time limits listed (I think!) and did as much as I can on my own in the office. That means mainly that I didn't do the speaking tests (Mündlicher Teil 1-3) - of course! I also had to self-assess on the written composition (writing a letter). I didn't award a mark, but my letter seemed OK - certainly above the 60% pass level required :-)

I listened to the example spoken tests and found nothing I couldn't do myself, perhaps even better. It gave me a little thrill when the young Japanese girl in the test said she had been studying German for 4 years. I'm pretty sure I'm at or above her level name, with really only less than 8 or 9 months of serious study. Then again, in those 8 or 9 months I've done something pretty much every day, whereas she might have only attended classes once or twice a week. I think working at it continually, and doing some every day, makes a big difference.

The point of the post is just as a checkpoint - the results I got on the parts that were marked automatically in the online test were all passes (greater > 60%). In fact, in the listening test I got 100%. I guessed only ONE answer and, luckily, got it right as well :-)

In other words, I believe that if I were to go today to do the Zertifikat-Deutsch (B1) I would pass, and possibly even get an above average or good. Great news, and a good boost in my confidence that I can reach my goal of passing the Goethe-Zertifikat-B2 by July of this year!

One of the articles that were required for the reading understanding presented a bit of a challenge - I let myself get thrown off by new words. I plan on taking this text and translating it so that I can familiarise myself with its vocabulary. It was a sort-of work related piece, so I suspect the same sort of vocabulary comes in ZD tests all the time.

In other news, I finished off Assimil German with Ease lesson 43 (active) this morning, and so listened to lesson 93 (passive) this morning on the drive in. I usually play lessons (and music!) from my Nokia N97 via its FM transmitter, but there are a lot of trucks on my drive, and I like to have the windows down, so I tried using headphones this morning. Unfortunately, it was not much better, possibly even worse because I couldn't make it loud enough to overcome the trucks. Schade!

And finally, I recently joined a meetup group for German native speakers and learners, and their partners, in Sydney. Sounds perfect, but so far all the meetings look like chances to get pissed, which isn't my thing. Still, I look forward to going along and meeting some of the local Germans :-) Who knows - maybe I'll find a German who lives near me and is looking for a running partner. I could practice German and get back into shape - kill two birds with one stone :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you still have the URL that you used for self-testing your level at the B1 (ZD)? I can't seem to find one that actually calculates the score, I'd appreciate if you could point me towards the one you used.

    Thanks in advance,
    EC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo EC! Wie geht's?

    I was just referring here to the Goethe exam prep material which can be found via here:

    http://www.goethe.de/lrn/prj/pba/bes/enindex.htm

    It has the answers, so you can mark yourself, except on the spoken and written composition sections where you'll have to self-assess, or ask a native speaker to help you. For the B1 and C2 exams you can find example audio online for the spoken parts, but not for the other exams unfortunately, as far as I could see. I emailed the Goethe Institute to request they add these missing examples at some stage. They said something like "maybe in the future" so please add your voice and write to them requesting they add more samples of good spoken expression at each level :-)

    ReplyDelete