Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Unheilbar

Today I learnt a new German word: "unheilbar". It means "incurable", which I was given as a translation for the word "terminal" as in "terminal lung cancer". It came about during my weekly Stammtisch with my Austrian work colleague as I described the diagnosis my mother recently received from her doctor. She's never smoked, though her own mother did. Still, she left home 50 odd years ago. Shitty news.

Anyway, this partially explains why I haven't yet posted my post-mortem or future plans, along with having to prepare for the upcoming mother's day and my wife's birthday. Priorities!

I have still been listening to plenty of podcasts, and keeping up with my Anki. Lately I've realised that I really want to bring my listening level up to "perfect". I understand pretty well a lot of the time, but never 100% all the time. Well, 98-99% all the time would do me :-) I feel like my speaking has been better lately, though I would need to find more opportunities per week to improve.

At the moment though, with all that's going on, that's not going to happen. I also found out a couple of months ago that, come November, I'll be a father for the second time! Much better news! I never want to say to my kids that something was impossible for me because of having them, so I'm sure it won't stop me. It might slow me down a little though for a while once they're born, so I'd better make sure I use the time I have now!

Hopefully I'll have those other posts ready soon. Bear with me if it takes a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment