Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Obsessed with Der Beobachter

OK, so now I'm nearing the end of "Der Beobachter" and it's been taking most of my focus in my German studies. I haven't done any more exam practice since my last post, mainly because I've been off work sick twice since the last post, and have been pretty ill for about half of the intervening days. Pretty shitty really. It's taken away my lunchtimes, and my time at home has been split between looking after my daughter, lying in bed sick, and family things. I had started to pick up my training for the Shark Island Swim this Sunday (I'm only doing the 1km event!), but I haven't done anything for that in 2 weeks now.

But the pause has been good in a way. When I read my book, I don't feel like I'm studying. It's not at all a struggle, and I'm just enjoying the story. I've never actually read a crime novel in English, so it's a novel experience all round (no pun intended). I'm up to page 570 which leaves just 81 pages to go! I think I'll have it knocked over in the next few days - I've been reading it at lunchtime and before bed whenever I can. Then I can get back to thinking about where to focus my study attention.

Something I've just noticed that youtube seems to have a lot of full-length German movies, like this one about Goethe. Don't know how I've been missing this all this time! Maybe the copyright owners don't look too hard for movies in the smaller markets? Whatever the reason, I'm going to start taking advantage of it as often as possible!

And finally, just because everyone loves a good graph, I've whipped up a graph of my reading progress in Der Beobachter by searching through my posts for where I've reported it. I couldn't have done this if I wasn't keeping a blog - so useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment