Sunday, April 1, 2012

Written expression exam practice

Just a quick update. The last two nights I've managed to do a practice question from the written expression section of the Modellsatz currently available here. In terms of content, I think it's going fine. In terms of correctness, I think it's currently just passable. In terms of time, it's not going great :-) The first time I did this type of practice, I did it all on my computer and just made it. It actually never occurred to me that it would be a written exam, despite all information I had already read which stated that very clearly. Just a case of wishful thinking really.

So, I've been getting that familiar writing cramp I used to experience back in University exams. I can't say that I've missed it at all! The only good news is that I did indeed manage to finish my answer tonight within the 65 minutes allowed, including time to make a neat copy (that takes me 20 minutes!). Although I let the neatness of my "neat" copy slide drastically when I was running out of time :-)

I've sent both answers off to one of my German-speaking friends for some comments, but since they are on their honeymoon, I'm not expecting an answer any time soon! I might post my answers here at some stage in order to elicit some feedback from you readers out there, but I don't want to put it up as an example of how to do it well because, even once most of the mistakes have been corrected, I still will have no idea whether the examiners would like them and what marks they would assign.

This is one of those times when I would like to have done an exam preparation course, because then I would get some directly relevant feedback that I'm currently lacking. At this stage, I think I can only do my best, keep practicing, and get some small modicum of feedback once I get my results for the actual exam!

If anyone can point me to a link with examples of the B2 exam's written section (and the oral exam too would be great!!), please let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Are these any good to you:
    http://www.hueber.de/seite/pg_lehren_pruefungsvorb_emn

    http://www.osd.at/default.aspx?SIid=32&LAid=1&ARid=107

    http://www.telc.net/unser-angebot/deutsch/telc-deutsch-b2/uebungsmaterial/

    They are different exams at the same level. I found them when looking for B1 exams but I now think I might aim for B2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those, rabbitliver! Actually, I meant to type "examples", as in, examples of it being done properly :-) I've actually since found one example which I mention in my most recent post (http://yetanotherlanguage.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/goethe-zertifikat-b2-written.html). Scroll write down to the bottom to see what I meant to ask about.
      Actually, I still need extra practice in the written section. My former German teacher (for 1 hour per week, for 8-10 weeks in a group class, or whatever it was) was kind enough to read through one of my practice questions so far and correct it. It's a sea of red! Still, she said some kind words about my german progress (and coming from her, a real old school language perfectionist, I take that as a nice compliment) and that my uncorrected version would "probably pass" in the exam. In the last few days before my exam I hope to get that up to a "should at least pass" :-)

      I've been meaning to comment on your blog - keep up the good work. When I get more time I will write something, but just briefly, I really think you should aim for the B2 exam at least. B1 will be too easy for you!!

      Delete