Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chinese with Ease volume 1 FINISHED!

Finally! I've finally made it past the first volume of Chinese with Ease! This is the first 49 lessons out 105 in total. So, what can I do with what I've learnt? Well, probably not a lot. I can understand some of what I hear and have very small fragments of conversation. My experience with the German with Ease course was that at the end of the whole course (100 lessons) plus having lived  in Germany for 6 months (without making much of an effort, to be honest) and done some extra material here and there, I was probably around B1 on the CEFRL, so, if Assimil has been my main source so far and I'm only halfway through, I shouldn't expect too much yet because I've hardly put in an effort like Baron Jon :-)  Anyway, I'm happy enough so far. The material I'm going through seems to be getting absorbed which is a good start!

I am trying to have little conversations here and there, but I don't know much. I seem to be at the stage of just picking up random, but highly useful, sentences, like this:

我没有睡够觉。

Which means "I didn't have enough sleep". The word gou4 够 can be replaced by nothing (="I didn't sleep") or hao3 好 (="I didn't sleep well"). The structure of this sentence surprised me compared to what I've learnt so far which didn't happen with German. I feel like by about halfway through the course the sentence structures themselves were not totally surprising anymore, but then again, I was not really looking at anything more than my Assimil course at that stage.

Just a quick wrapup again:

Mandarin: Up to lesson 50.
Latin: Up to lesson 47. I'll try to bring this up to the same as Mandarin before I proceed with that again. I'm trying to focus on the lessons a bit more and go over them to make sure I understand them well before I move on. This is important for the Assimil method to work I feel, but sometimes I've let my understanding be vague when I move on because my French isn't too top notch. I've decided to start adding the French translations along with then English in my Anki lists to perhaps improve my vocab there as well. Speaking of French, I replied to my Chinese friend in French the other day when I wasn't sure what to say. Funny.
German: Up to page 229 in Das Todeskreuz. Apart from that, I've just been trying to catch up on correspondence with my German speaking friends.

I have actually kept up reasonably well with Anki lately which hasn't really happened ever since Anki became completely gay on my phone's browser (with the latest version). I can't study Chinese because my phone's browser doesn't support the required fonts, but I can do the others at least.

Bis später!
在见!
Valeo!

No comments:

Post a Comment