Saturday, January 25, 2014

Der Erlkönig by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - a parallel translation

I don't know how, but somehow I missed this a long time ago - I made a parallel translation of "Der Erlkönig" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe which I did in April last year. I also found some free audio of it. Here they are:

My own loose parallel translation

The audio on youtube

To get the audio as an mp3, I just use RealPlayer. It has a plugin that lets you download streamed videos from youtube and you can then extract the mp3. Easy :-)

I didn't put much effort into the translation so don't base your exam preparation on my vocabulary choices! Comment below if you find any issues.

My preparations for what I plan to do in trying to achieve the C2 level exam by the start of next year have not really got started very well. I know I really need to speak German every day, but that certainly hasn't happened yet and the year is almost 1 month down. I have a few plans of attack on this problem which I will discuss more in my future posts.

I'm currently reading a new German book after reading one of the several books in English which I got for my birthday and Christmas (both around the same time). This book was lent to me by my Austrian friend at work. Called das größere Wunder, it is written by an Austrian author but set all over the world. I've had it for a couple of weeks and am about 10% of the way through it. I'll try to pick up the pace a bit! I'll write some more thoughts about it soon as it was a bit of a shock to me in some ways and a great test for my current abilities helping to show me the way to some improvements.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment, though the translation was pretty rough and ready. I actually didn't think about it too much and tried to keep it more as a direct gloss than any kind of direct translation. Glad you liked it though!

    ReplyDelete