Tuesday, November 29, 2011

German letter writing tips

Just found these when I was looking for help with writing a formal letter to cancel a phone contract in Germany. I plan on doing something I wouldn't have dreamed off while I actually lived there - I'm going to do the whole thing myself in German. Anyway, here's the resource which had a few good tips:

http://www.oxfordlanguagedictionaries.com/Public/PublicResources.html?direction=b-de-en&sp=S/oldo/resources/de/Writing_Letters_in_German.html

Looks like they've got one or two other German resources which I'll check out when I get some spare time. To their informal ways of signing a letter, I would add "(ganz) liebe Grüße" or just "Lg" as this is the way all my German speaking friends sign off in their letters. They are all Austrian, so perhaps this is a southern German thing.

Just one final note - today I did the online Goethe B2 test's written practice where you need to correct the mistakes in someone else's letter and got 8 out of 10. I plan on doing the writing practice questions in this section soon and asking my friends to make comments. Hopefully constructive ones!

Oh, and one really final thing - bad news on the speaking practice front. One of my Austrian friends will be too busy until mid-January to meet up so I'll need to keep up my practice with my workmate and also use the time to do more written type practice, which I also sorely need anyway...

I do think this should be the impetus for finding a new practice partner at my work - I'll reach out again and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment